How we begin our morning can set the tone for the entire day. A negative start will inevitably lead to feelings of stress, boredom, and poor mental and physical health. Getting a positive start will make all the difference. Try these seven smile-raising wake-up calls for a brighter day.
- Make a gratitude list. It may sound trite, but simply devoting some time to the things you’re most grateful for can shift your mind-set for the better. The list doesn’t have to be lengthy or filled with particularly profound ideas – just simple things you’re grateful for will do.
- Take time to meditate. Many of us are tempted to leap out of bed and run straight for the morning cup of coffee as soon as the alarm goes off, but a little peace and quiet in the morning can go a long way. Give yourself a couple minutes of silence, check in with how each part of your body is feeling, and focus on your breathing.
- Stay away from your phone. Unless you have an absolutely urgent email to attend to, try not to check your phone first thing in the morning. Flooding your brain with social media and negative news can be over-stimulating at this time of the day – take the time to focus on yourself, instead.
- Get into a yoga flow. Yoga is one of the best possible exercises to incorporate into your morning routine. The right flow, like a series of sun salutations, will calm your mind while energising your body for the day ahead. Yoga will also help you align your breathing with your body and works as a kind of meditation – ideal for a groggy morning mind. Those endorphins will have you psyched up for a positive day.
- Eat a nutritious breakfast. The right food can make a major difference to the way you feel in the morning. Pick mood-boosting foods packed with omega-3 fatty acids, as well as complex carbohydrates and satisfying protein for a well-nourished body and brain.
- Focus on the good. If you’re facing a stressful day at work or a task that you’re particularly dreading, try to distract your mind with positive thoughts rather than dwelling on the things you’re not looking forward to. Pick particular moments in your day that you know you’ll enjoy, and keep them in your thoughts as you get ready to head out.
- Plan ahead. Nothing makes a morning more stressful than a big rush to get out of the house on time. Plan your day ahead of time by laying out your outfit the evening before, preparing your breakfast in advance, and getting everything you need ready to go, so that there’s nothing to worry about when you wake up. A stress-free start will always lead to a happier day.
Are you ready? Your best life awaits…book in with the experts at Happy Physio today.